Well, here it is. The List!
I'm not quite so sure how I came across this, but somehow on one of my web wanders I stumbled upon the 101 Things to do in 1001 Days Project along with its support community here on LJ: mission101.
I'm a list maker. I do it compulsively, it's been my way to organize my head and tackle big problems for as long as I can remember. Breaking things down into manageable steps makes sense to me and makes me feel confident in achieving my goals. Besides, there's nothing so satisfying as crossing something off a To-Do list. I'm optimistic that this challenge will work for me!
Complete 101 preset goals or tasks in a period of 1001 days.
Tasks must be specific, with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic, yet must represent some amount of work on your part.
Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several opportunities to complete certain tasks.
GOAL SETTING TIPS.
Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it. Stay focused. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress. Welcome failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy. Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment. Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.
You'll notice on several of these I've set goals to "do x, y times" usually over the course of a month or more. The idea behind these kinds of challenges is to get myself into a good habit (and perhapse lose a few bad ones!) Hopefully if I'm successful and it works, these good habits will continue on.
None of these goals are written in stone. They are subject to review and change throughout the entire challenge.
So! Without further adieu:
Health and Nutrition
001. Go to bed by 10pm each night for a week. (0/7)
002. Brush teeth twice a day for one month. Floss in the evening. (0/30)
003. Drink at least 5 glasses of water a day for a month. (0/30)
004. Participate in a sporting event.
005. Stretch every morning for one week. (0/7)
006. Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
007. Take a yoga class.
008. Take a bellydancing class.
009. Take a spinning class.
010. Do 10 push ups and 50 sit ups daily for one month. (0/30)
011. Join a fitness club. Go 3 times a week for one month. (0/12)
012. Do 10 min. of meditation/quiet time each day for one month. (0/30)
013. Make a system to keep track of weight. Keep up with it for one year.
House and Home
014. Organize all paper documents.
015. Do laundry once a week for three months. Wash sheets every other week. (0/12)
016. Start and sustain a herb garden.
017. Designate days of the week to clean the kitchen, bathroom and rest of house. Follow through for three months.
Friends and Family
018. Send out cards to at least 8 people outside my family for 4 holidays other then Christmas. Send out Christmas cards at least one year before Dec. 10th. (0/8)
019. Gather an address book and keep it up to date.
020. E-mail my Parents, my brother and at least one friend once a week. Reply to every e-mail I get from friends and family.
021. Comment on at least five entries on my LJ friends list each day for one month (0/30)
022. Cook dinner for my parents.
023. Trace my family tree.
024. Sign up and participate in 5 online swaps. (0/5)
025. Establish a pen-pal.
026. Write a letter to my nieces once a month.
027. Put together a surprise care package for a friend.
028. Update my blog three times a week at least for three months (0/36)
029. Host a party.
030. Cook for 6 other people outside of my family. (0/6)
031. Go fishing with my Dad.
032. Take my Mum out on a day trip.
033. Introduce myself to my neighbors. Invite them in for a cup of tea sometime.
Personal and Spiritual Growth
034. Complete my Masters Degree.
035. Buy and complete The Intellectual Devotional. (0/365)
036. Learn to identify 5 new constellations, plants and birds. (0/5) (0/5) (0/5)
037. Work on improving my Italian.
038. Watch the sun set and rise. (Not necessarily on the same day!)
039. Go naked - outside!
040. Take a long walk in the rain.
041. Learn and memorize the ABCs in ASL.
042. Track ALL expenses for a month.
043. Find a dress or short skirt I feel fabulous in.
044. Take a photo of myself each day for a month. (0/30)
Giving and Community
045. Participate in one charity walk.
046. Volunteer for three charity events. (0/3)
047. Donate 1,000,000 grains of rice through freerice.com (2,140/1,000,000)
048. Make 10 comments in threads or other people's projects in Ravelry per day for one month. (0/300)
049. Create an account and participate actively on craftster.org
She's a Crafty Girl
050. Knit for one hour at least three days a week for a month. (0/12)
051. Knit 25 things for other people and 25 things for myself. (0/25) (0/25)
052. Participate in Project Spectrum
053. Take a class to learn how to use my sewing machine.
054. Learn how to crochet at least enough to make "granny squares"
055. Knit for charity 5 times. (0/5)
056. Join a yarn club.
057. Knit myself at least 3 socks each year. (0/9)
058. Knit a blanket.
059. Complete 5 cross stitch kits. (0/5)
060. Participate in a Mystery KAL.
061. Learn to knit lace / Knit a shawl.
062. Teach someone to knit.
What's Life Without Leisure?
063. SCUBA dive in the Great Barrier Reef.
064. Go Kayaking.
065. Ride a rollercoaster.
066. Get a valid BINGO (7 letter play) in Scrabble.
067. Visit 10 National Parks. (0/10)
068. Go to a roller derby.
069. Research and make my own Tarot deck.
070. Attend a show at the Sydney Opera House.
071. Go to a concert.
072. Watch 15 movies in the theater. (0/15)
073. Go to a bar.
074. Go out dancing.
075. Attend a wine tasting.
076. Go on a picnic.
077. Go camping by myself.
078. Attend 3 sporting events. (0/3)
079. Watch a comedian live.
080. Take a cooking class.
081. Learn to make 15 mixed drinks. (0/15)
082. Complete the 50bookchallenge.
083. Subscribe to a magazine I routinely buy.
084. Keep goodreads.com up-to-date.
085. Read 101 new books. (0/101)
086. Read 10 classic novels I have not already read. (0/10)
087. Become a member of the zoo/aquarium/museum - make sure to visit enough times to make it WORTH it!
088. Complete 10 jigsaw puzzles. (0/10)
089. Watch the Sydney New Year fireworks celebration in person.
Odds and Ends.
090. Participate in NaNoBloPoMo.
091. Participate in Project365
092. Send a secret to postsecret.com
093. Participate in 100_snapshots.
094. Buy a new digital camera.
095. Buy a corset.
096. Buy a garter belt.
097. Get my dream pair of boots special made.
098. Buy new sneakers.
099. Buy a new purse.
100. Organize my Flickr account.
101. Decide on a career path and work towards it.
Donate $5 per challenge failed or incomplete by the end of 1001 days to a charity of my choice.
Biweekly make a post to my blog dedicated to this challenge. Document as many of these tasks as possible.
Complete ten items in the first month. (Prizes TBD)
Complete ten more items in the first year. (Prizes TBD)
If this challenge is deemed a success and suitable form of self-motivation, create another list of 101 tasks at the end of this challenge.
There we go! Today is my Day Zero. Let's see how the next almost-three-years go!
Beginning Date: Friday, March 7th 2008
Ending Date: Friday, December 3rd 2010